The bureaucrats of a leaderless NSERC have extended the 5-year grants of three research institutes by two years. This amounts to assigning awards exceeding $7,500,000. They have done so without peer review and against the wishes of one of their own liaison committees and even against the stated position of most of the grantees themselves. Besides issues of authority and accountability, this seemingly friendly act is destined to fracture a research community that strives to work collaboratively and coherently for the national interest. Moreover, the move threatens to upend Canadian leadership in a fragile international collaboration. Let me explain.
- 561,179 hits
- Yiming on Robert M. Miura: 1938 – 2018
- Marco on A research community at the mercy of a leaderless NSERC
- Michael Lamoureux on A research community at the mercy of a leaderless NSERC
- Makiko Alexander on Robert M. Miura: 1938 – 2018
- WAS on Why I am voting against the tuition increases for domestic students
- A research community at the mercy of a leaderless NSERC
- A busy first four months on the UBC Board of Governors
- Academic publishing in the time of sanctions and boycotts
- Maurice Sion: 1927 – 2018
- Robert M. Miura: 1938 – 2018
- When the Walls of Governance Come Crumbling Down
- Why I am voting against the tuition increases for domestic students
- Resignation of the director of the Wall Institute: The reaction
- Why I am resigning from the directorship of the Wall institute
- Accountability and Governance at UBC: Budget
- NSERC corrects a mistake, but many remain unaddressed
- Is the BIRS programme multiple disciplinary enough for NSERC?
- Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Reboot NSERC by engaging and empowering the researchers it serves
- President Arvind Gupta on the essence of the academic mission…and an endorsement
- Why am I running again to represent the faculty on UBC’s Board of Governors?
- Overhauling NSERC is a long overdue national priority (I)
- Fettering unfettered research funding: The NSERC ways
- Statistical science is everywhere
- Did you say, Father’s day?
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets