The letter from the president of The University of Victoria informing me about my honorary doctorate was a complete surprise. “My former graduate students and postdocs, who are now on the faculty at UVic, must have been behind this nomination,” I thought. Wishful thinking and a healthy dose of vanity made me wonder which aspects of my mathematical contributions would be cited. I eventually asked and ultimately learned that I was wrong on both counts. Continue reading
- 354,446 hits
- Young-Heon Kim on An activist you are!
- Young-Heon Kim on Why Canada’s research granting councils mean so little to this government’s agenda
- Friday links: origin of an evolutionary icon, Canada vs. basic research, and more | Dynamic Ecology on Why Canada’s research granting councils mean so little to this government’s agenda
- jimwoodgett on Why Canada’s research granting councils mean so little to this government’s agenda
- Why Canada’s research granting councils mean so little to this government’s agenda | Piece of Mind on Budget 2014 is nothing short of a paradigm shift for Canada’s research and innovation
- An activist you are!
- Mathematics, poetry and beauty
- Four lessons from an amazing site visit
- Why Canada’s research granting councils mean so little to this government’s agenda
- How dare UBC take diversity so seriously?
- On the “clientèle-based” logic in redefining academic units
- UBC’s free fall in university rankings
- To some a citation is worth $3 per year
- Highlights from the installation speech of UBC’s 13th President, Arvind Gupta
- The President of the University of Alberta asked us to think twice, and we have!
- A ton of career blood in the cause of clearly defining academic freedom
- On the dark side of philanthropy
- Return on investment in faculty rarely captured by university CFOs
- UBC appoints a doer as its 13th President
- Bye Bye Board
- Now that Government has listened to the research community, will NSERC?
- Budget 2014 is nothing short of a paradigm shift for Canada’s research and innovation
- Artists, Philanthropists, Politicians join mathematicians in celebrating BIRS-affiliate research facility in Oaxaca
- UBC Board approves improved faculty housing assistance program
- Cost-cutting in post-secondary institutions: Rank and Yank, Lift and Shift
- RT @joshdneufeld: Solidarity with Canadian federal scientists: "Universities introduce form to fill in before you are allowed to speak" htt… 16 hours ago
- McCain Urges Military Strikes Against FIFA newyorker.com/humor/borowitz… via @BorowitzReport 1 day ago
- So nice to see two of my favorite people @JimOlverTBC @thebanffcentre @BanffMayor 1 day ago
- RT @GlobalChronicle: After almost 800 years, Oxford names its first female vice chancellor shar.es/1rPEes 1 day ago
- @dlbrydon My engineer/daughter's favorite part of my latest blogpost was its link to dianabrydon.com/2015/04/23/can… 2 days ago