First, came the editorial of University of Ottawa Physicist, Béla Joós in last July’s issue of “Physics in Canada”. There, he zeroed in on the heart of the matter, which if you think about it, is mind boggling: “Over the last two years, the Discovery Grant Program (DGP) has been changing, not only the way in which grants are allocated but also in its mission statement.” How could this cataclysmic shift happen under the very nose of Canada’s scientific community and who is responsible for it? In his extremely lucid editorial (the best analysis I’ve seen so far on the issue), he declares, “it is time to rise to the defence of the DGP.” Today, the following open letter to NSERC’s President Suzanne Fortier, by a group of prominent physicists and astronomers, also appeared in the journal “Physics in Canada”. Most of the signatories are past chairs of Grant selection committees, and all are well versed in the complexities of grant selection procedures in Canada and elsewhere. When a “system produces a decline in both fairness and trust”, all decent and serious scientists in the country feel it simultaneously. You are not alone!
- 546,121 hits
- Derek Bingham on Is the BIRS programme multiple disciplinary enough for NSERC?
- Peter Wylie on Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Daniel Justice on Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Reblog of Reform(atting) CIHR - Spatial Determinants of Health Lab on Reform(atting) the Canadian Institutes of Health Research – a living autopsy
- Daniela Boccassini on Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Is the BIRS programme multiple disciplinary enough for NSERC?
- Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Reboot NSERC by engaging and empowering the researchers it serves
- President Arvind Gupta on the essence of the academic mission…and an endorsement
- Why am I running again to represent the faculty on UBC’s Board of Governors?
- Overhauling NSERC is a long overdue national priority (I)
- Fettering unfettered research funding: The NSERC ways
- For UBC faculty, the malaise persists
- Statistical science is everywhere
- Did you say, Father’s day?
- The Problem with Naylor’s Panel Report
- Berdahl vs. Potter: The Tale of Two “Globe and Mail” Editorials
- Budget 2017, Naylor’s review, and the Mathematical Sciences in Canada
- Open Letter to the UBC Chancellor Reappointment Committee
- Canada has two ministers of Science, yet Budget 2017 barely mentions Science
- The Latest Attack on Academic Freedom in Canada: McGill Turns Away from Controversy and Provocation
- The Fall of the Faculty: A Case Study of University Governance at UBC
- Salient points of Daniel Heath Justice’s letter of resignation from the UBC Sexual Assault Policy Committee in response to Furlong’s reinstatement
- Shaking up the UBC Board of Governors
- Interview with a mathematician: Nassif Ghoussoub
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets