“What were you doing in Montréal?” I asked. “I gave a plenary lecture at the Congress of the Mathematical Association of Quebec on ‘L’erreur en Mathématiques’ … and I cited you a lot :)”. My friend was only half-joking! What he was talking about is how historic mistakes by illustrious mathematicians (such as Henri Lebesgue and Henri Poincaré) have been particularly crucial for the development of mathematics. Then I remembered Shechtman’s remarkable story en route to the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, my students’ anguish on their way to their doctoral thesis, my daughter’s super clean and polished university notes from her math and physics courses, Polanyi’s superb article on “Why our scientific discoveries need to surprise us”, and of course the bureaucrats’ soviet-style ways of imposing rigid milestones and requiring precise outcomes on developing research. All this led me to the following brilliant illustration coming from a most unlikely source.
- The Learning & Research committee of the UBC Board: What a difference a year makes (I)
- UBC: Failures in governance are slowing down the pace of academic renewal
- A research community at the mercy of a leaderless NSERC
- A busy first four months on the UBC Board of Governors
- Academic publishing in the time of sanctions and boycotts
- Maurice Sion: 1927 – 2018
- Robert M. Miura: 1938 – 2018
- When the Walls of Governance Come Crumbling Down
- Why I am voting against the tuition increases for domestic students
- Resignation of the director of the Wall Institute: The reaction
- Why I am resigning from the directorship of the Wall institute
- Accountability and Governance at UBC: Budget
- NSERC corrects a mistake, but many remain unaddressed
- Is the BIRS programme multiple disciplinary enough for NSERC?
- Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Reboot NSERC by engaging and empowering the researchers it serves
- President Arvind Gupta on the essence of the academic mission…and an endorsement
- Why am I running again to represent the faculty on UBC’s Board of Governors?
- Overhauling NSERC is a long overdue national priority (I)
- Fettering unfettered research funding: The NSERC ways
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- 569,499 hits