These photos were taken during a mathematics graduate summer school organised by Wilfrid Gangbo (Geogia Tech) in Benin, Africa during the period June 25-July 04, 2010. Courses were given by Cedric Villani (U. de Paris, who was later awarded the Fields medal in Hyderabad, India), Sir John Ball (Oxford), Luis Caffarelli (Austin, Texas), and myself.
About 45 graduate students attended the school from 14 neighboring countries. A hugely successful event, that led both Cedric and I to commit to help Wilfrid in setting up a more permanent mathematics Centre in Benin, that can support the needs of that part of Western Africa. We used the remaining part of our visit to have good discussions with the French Ambassador, various local investors as well as the Chamber of Commerce.
During our stay, we were pleasantly surprised by the announcement of Prime Minister Harper pledging $20M for the AIMS initiative, which is a project to build a network of mathematical science institutes across the African continent. The project is led by Neil Turok, Director of the Perimeter Institute, with whom we are hoping to work more closely on the important task of developing African Science.
- 548,114 hits
- Derek Bingham on Is the BIRS programme multiple disciplinary enough for NSERC?
- Peter Wylie on Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Daniel Justice on Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Reblog of Reform(atting) CIHR - Spatial Determinants of Health Lab on Reform(atting) the Canadian Institutes of Health Research – a living autopsy
- Daniela Boccassini on Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- NSERC corrects a mistake, but many remain unaddressed
- Is the BIRS programme multiple disciplinary enough for NSERC?
- Calling on #UBC to step up and support our alumni Loujain Al-Hathloul (Arts, 2014)
- Reboot NSERC by engaging and empowering the researchers it serves
- President Arvind Gupta on the essence of the academic mission…and an endorsement
- Why am I running again to represent the faculty on UBC’s Board of Governors?
- Overhauling NSERC is a long overdue national priority (I)
- Fettering unfettered research funding: The NSERC ways
- For UBC faculty, the malaise persists
- Statistical science is everywhere
- Did you say, Father’s day?
- The Problem with Naylor’s Panel Report
- Berdahl vs. Potter: The Tale of Two “Globe and Mail” Editorials
- Budget 2017, Naylor’s review, and the Mathematical Sciences in Canada
- Open Letter to the UBC Chancellor Reappointment Committee
- Canada has two ministers of Science, yet Budget 2017 barely mentions Science
- The Latest Attack on Academic Freedom in Canada: McGill Turns Away from Controversy and Provocation
- The Fall of the Faculty: A Case Study of University Governance at UBC
- Salient points of Daniel Heath Justice’s letter of resignation from the UBC Sexual Assault Policy Committee in response to Furlong’s reinstatement
- Shaking up the UBC Board of Governors
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets