- 326,676 hits
- Speculative Diction | Dissecting the USask fiasco | University Affairs on The President of the University of Alberta asked us to think twice, and we have!
- Frank on The President of the University of Alberta asked us to think twice, and we have!
- Phil Hultin on The President of the University of Alberta asked us to think twice, and we have!
- Somewhere else, part 138 | Freakonometrics on Return on investment in faculty rarely captured by university CFOs
- Phil Hultin on A ton of career blood in the cause of clearly defining academic freedom
- Highlights from the installation speech of UBC’s 13th President, Arvind Gupta
- The President of the University of Alberta asked us to think twice, and we have!
- A ton of career blood in the cause of clearly defining academic freedom
- On the dark side of philanthropy
- Return on investment in faculty rarely captured by university CFOs
- UBC appoints a doer as its 13th President
- Bye Bye Board
- Now that Government has listened to the research community, will NSERC?
- Budget 2014 is nothing short of a paradigm shift for Canada’s research and innovation
- Artists, Philanthropists, Politicians join mathematicians in celebrating BIRS-affiliate research facility in Oaxaca
- UBC Board approves improved faculty housing assistance program
- Cost-cutting in post-secondary institutions: Rank and Yank, Lift and Shift
- Universities in an Era of ‘Non-Lieux’
- Roasting chestnuts for my favourite hockey players
- From “shared governance” to “shared services”: Lessons from the University of Michigan
- The UBC Faculty Housing Action Plan revisited
- Beyond “the homely West-side heritage home” that shelters UBC-Mathematics
- A mathematician at the Global Business Forum
- Lousy reporting targets Canada’s higher education
- Thank You Notes
- Graham Chapman obituary gu.com/p/424y9/tw 3 hours ago
- RT @bernardpivot1: On remplace de bons vieux mots français par des mots anglais comme on remplace de bons vieux amis de collège par des mem… 4 hours ago
- RT @kathleenogrady: German universities scrap all tuition fees thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world… 15 hours ago
- UBC’s ISIS Research Centre announces plans to change its name ubyssey.ca/news/ubcs-isis… via @ubyssey 15 hours ago
- RT @MrHonner: "Mathematicians have a responsibility to ensure that mathematics is not misused" ams.org/notices/201409… #math #mathchat h/t @… 15 hours ago
Category Archives: Uncategorized
All the bulletins open with the same rhetoric: Universities are undergoing historic change due to the sharp downward shift in government funding, hence there is an urgent need to remove redundancy and cost while being able to preserve and improve … Continue reading
There is no shortage of academic topics to blog about. Much harder is to start a new year with a distinctly interesting post. Then, Stephen Toope saved the (my) day by publishing the following seminal post on the U15 blog. … Continue reading
Happy new year everyone! And thanks to the 72,000 of you from 140 countries, who viewed this blog in 2013.
Thirteen months ago, a message to the faculty was sent on my behalf as Chair of the UBC Community Planning Task Group, announcing the UBC Housing Action Plan as approved by the Board of Governors. The plan addressed –among other things– the problem of housing affordability for tenured and … Continue reading
I am just back from the Global Business Forum in Banff. Every year, three remarkable people expend Herculean efforts to oversee the organization of this high-profile gathering. The Forum is sometimes referred to as the “Davos” of the energy industry. It … Continue reading
“An early contender for the worst article of the back-to-school period,” was Alex Usher’s reaction upon coming across an article by Douglas Todd in the Vancouver Sun titled “The pros and cons of foreign students.” Melonie Fullick’s reaction was closer to mine. … Continue reading